Monday, February 23, 2009

Here's Your New Car

The Academy Awards were presented last night. I didn't watch....again. I feel that actors are incredibly overpaid, and I have no desire to watch yet another episode of these people patting themselves on the back. I think the fact of the matter is that they do not often have the opportunity to go home after an honest days' work and take pride in a job well done. Therefore they have to constantly seek the approval of their peers.

Aannndddd, while we are on the subject, what on Earth qualifies any of these folk to attempt to impose their opinions on me? I certainly understand that they make so much money and work so little that they are bored out of their gourds, and I do believe that some of them want to make a difference in the world, but most of them absolutely go about it the wrong way.

Take Oprah, please! (To paraphrase Henny Youngman) Giving away all those cars?!? I will only believe that act truly benefited anybody except Oprah herself when she visits the people she 'helped' and learns first hand how much her generosity really changed their lives in a positive, lasting and meaningful way.

I do not believe you can improve any ones' life by giving them money (or a house, for that matter). Call me old fashioned, but people don't appreciate things they haven't worked for. The recipients only end up resenting the gift and the giver.

The type of help I respect is performance based. George Weiss began a program in 1991 which offered college tuition to high risk students who were willing to do the work necessary to graduate high school and gain entrance to college, with excellent results. Although not all the kids ultimately went to college, a much larger percentage graduated high school than would have been expected. The message was clearly " I'll believe in you if you will believe in yourself."

Tell me that is not a bazillion times more empowering than saying "Here's a car...good luck!"

No comments:

Post a Comment