Monday, February 27, 2012

You've Come A Long Way, Baby!


I have this image set as my desktop. I downloaded from NASA a picture taken in the International Space Station. The woman in the photo is Tracy Dyson, a NASA astronaut. The photo was taken in the cupola of the station. From what I understand, this is the most popular place in space, and I believe it.


As I looked at this young woman, after I got over my jealousy, I could not help but think: thirty-some years ago a mother and a father held a tiny girl child in their arms. Perhaps they were in awe over the miracle of life they had created. Maybe they were concerned with the responsibility a new child imposes on a family.

Her father may have looked down at this swaddled infant and for a moment wondered, "Where will you go, Little One? What adventures await you there?"

Could he.....did he.......even for a moment, imagine his beautiful daughter floating weightless in space, a hundred miles above the Blue Planet, gazing serenely out the window. perhaps amazed herself at just how far she had come?

Where will my children go? Where will yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment